Artist Cyan Daly is responsible for the sweltering FIYAH #15 cover art! We asked her a bit about her unique art style and the work she’s excited about.
1) What inspired you to originally want to be an artist?
Like many people, I wanted to be able to draw my favorite anime characters with accuracy. What really set me on the path was getting my first art book for “Rise of the Guardians”, one of my favorite movies. It showed me that art wasn’t just about gallery work and that I could make a career out of creating worlds and characters.
2) What advice would you have for people looking to become an artist as a career?
I’m very early in myself, but something I’m learning is that you can’t let doubt or insecurity stop you. It’s kinda cliche but I learned that talking myself out of doing things like applying for a project or tackling difficult compositions, would get me nowhere. Even when I got rejected or made the ugliest piece of art known to man, the important thing was that I did it and that I would eventually become better from it.
3) What are your own personal goals for your art? Where would you like it to be in five years?
Right now, I want to explore what exactly my artistic voice is and what it is that makes my art unique.
In five years, I just hope to have a steady income from my art. Illustration has taken me to some really cool places so far, so I’m excited to see how it develops from here!
4) Who are some of your favorite artists currently?
Off the top of my head some favorites are Asieybarbie, Taj Francis, Paul Davey, GDBee, and Bampshi.
5) What thought process did you take into your FIYAH cover?
When LeKesha contacted me about the cover, she mentioned that I would be working on the summer issue, and so I kinda ran with the concept of summertime and what it represents for me. I remember thinking about how hot and ridiculously humid it gets where I’m from, probably way too hot for a demon…and it all took off from there.
6) If you could instantly work on any established property, what would it be and why?
Spider-Verse!! Whether it be the movies or a comic series, there’s nothing I want more than to work with those characters. I love each and every one of them so much, not to mention it’s honestly one of my favorite movies of all time and its influence on me will probably last forever. Working on that property would be a dream come true.
Honorable mention would be Street Fighter, I love their brand of fighting game character design.
7) What projects do you have coming down the pipeline? Anything you are particularly excited about?
Between everything, I’m currently working on an artbook about natural hair that I’m really excited for.
8) Tell us where we can find you. Social media, website etc.?