ACQUIRING EDITOR FOR POETRY
FIYAH Magazine is currently looking for Acquiring Editors! We need one poetry reader to join our editorial team. For more information, please read the description of Acquiring Editors’ duties and responsibilities. If you are interested in assisting us, please reach out at the contact information provided. Because all of our submissions are from Black writers, we ask that only black readers reach out to express an interest in helping us out.
Acquiring Editor Information
Acquiring editors read incoming submissions to FIYAH Magazine, and provide their opinions on whether a story should be sent up to the Poetry Editor for further consideration. Because our submissions are from Black writers, we are asking that only Black readers apply for this position. That said, we encourage Black readers of all genders and nationalities to apply.
Acquiring Editors will be paid $30 USD per submission period
During each reading period, Acquiring Editors will:
- Read submissions and provide brief comments on them for the Managing and Poetry editor to review
- Indicate which stories deserve to be passed on to Managing Editor for further consideration
- Reading fundamentals: The best Acquiring Editors are good readers. If you have a passion for Black speculative fiction, like many different kinds of stories, and can understand what makes a story work, you’ll be a good fit.
- Discretion. Don’t talk smack about authors whose stories you’ve read for us online, and don’t notify any friends or colleagues about editorial decisions
- Consistency: We’d like readers to be consistent both in the amount of stories they read per reading period, and the quality of their feedback
- Some familiarity with online co-working tools (Slack, Airtable) is beneficial but not required
- Time Management: FIYAH receives up to 200 prose submissions each reading period. Acquiring Editors should be willing to commit up to five hours per week reading and reviewing submissions.
If you’re interested in applying, click here to access the application. If you are unable to use the form for accessibility reasons, send an email with the subject “Accessible Application” to team(at)fiyahlitmag.com and we’ll get you an alternative.
After we receive your application, we’ll be in touch with further instructions to determine if you’d be a good fit to work with us. This window is open until September 22nd.