The BSF Writer Survey is back! FIYAH will be inheriting Fireside Fiction’s #BlackSpecFic Reports, and this survey will be used to provide context to those results in a report being released in the fall of 2022.
We invite Black SFF writers to submit information about their practices and insights on submission to SFF short fiction markets with a focus on the 2021 calendar year, as well as the impact of and experience with special offerings made during the summer of 2020. The responses we receive will allow us to:
- Quantify the existence of Black speculative fiction writers seeking publication.
- Provide submission context to existing publication data.
- Expose the impact of doleful publication statistics on Black writers.
- Enable markets to pinpoint their failings in attracting or publishing Black writers.
Your name and personal information will be kept private and used only for the purposes of this survey. Some questions will ask about your submission process, so it will be good to have handy any system and/or emails you use to track your submissions, sales, and rejections during the survey.
Thank you for your participation. Thank you even more for writing.
Survey Participation Requirements
For the purposes of this survey, participating writers:
- must have submitted at least one piece of short speculative fiction to a paying market during the 2021 calendar year. You do not have to be published in order to participate in the survey. Speculative fiction includes fantasy, science fiction, horror, paranormal and all of their included subgenres. “Short” fiction includes flash, shorts, novelettes, and novellas (under 40,000 words).
- must identify as Black or of the African Diaspora (to include mixed/biracial)
The survey is open February 3, 2022 – March 4, 2022 at 11:59 PM ET.
Use the button below to access the survey.