FIYAH seeks applicants for our Managing Editor position. Please read the job description and requirements below.
The Managing Editor assigns incoming submissions to FIYAH Magazine to the acquiring editor staff as well as managing them to complete their work. Additionally, the Managing Editor supports the Executive, Poetry and Non-fiction Editors as needed. The Managing Editor is also responsible for managing the FIYAH submission email inbox.
The Managing Editor will be paid $300 per submission period.
The Managing Editor will:
- Maintain the slush for each reading period;
- Assign submissions to acquiring editors as well as adding relevant meta-data;
- Manage and work with acquiring editors;
- Support the Executive, Poetry and Non-fiction editors as needed;
- Send submission responses;
- Respond to submission correspondence;
- Onboard new staff and update onboarding processes; and
- Other tasks as assigned.
Qualifications include the following:
- Project management: Each submission period is it’s own distinct project and its important that the editor be able to manage the process and the team completing the work.
- Discretion. Don’t talk smack about authors whose stories you’ve read for us online, and don’t notify any friends or colleagues about editorial decisions.
- Consistency: We’d like readers to be consistent both in the amount of stories they read per reading period, and the quality of their feedback.
- Some familiarity with online co-working tools (Slack, Airtable) is beneficial but not required.
- Time Management: FIYAH receives up to 200 prose submissions each reading period. The Managing Editor should be willing to commit to five to seven hours per week.
To apply, please complete the application here before September 30th at 11:59PM EST.