This survey is designed to provide context to reports like Fireside Fiction’s #BlackSpecFic Reports. We invite Black SFF writers to submit information about their practices and insights on submission to SFF short fiction markets with a focus on a 13 month period. The responses we receive will allow us to:
- Quantify the existence of Black speculative fiction writers seeking publication.
- Provide submission context to existing publication data.
- Expose the impact of doleful publication statistics on Black writers.
- Enable markets to pinpoint their failings in attracting or publishing Black writers.
Your name and personal information will be kept private and used only for the purposes of this survey. Some questions will ask about your submission process, so it will be good to have handy any system and/or emails you use to track your submissions, sales, and rejections during the survey.
Thank you for your participation. Thank you even more for writing.
Survey Participation Requirements
For the purposes of this survey, participating writers:
- must have submitted at least one piece of short speculative fiction to a paying market in the last 12 months. You do not have to be published in order to participate in the survey. Speculative fiction includes fantasy, science fiction, horror, paranormal and all of their included subgenres. “Short” fiction includes flash, shorts, novelettes, and novellas (under 40,000 words).
- must identify as Black or of the African Diaspora (to include mixed/biracial)