Artist Dominique Ramsey is responsible for the FIYAH #14 cover art! We asked her a bit about her unique art style and the work she’s excited about.
1) What inspired you to originally want to be an artist?
I was inspired to become an artist from watching cartoons as a child; learning about artists Albrecht Durer and Leonardo Da Vinci. Iv’e also always had this desire to create beautiful things.
2) What advice would you have for people looking to become an artist as a career?
My advice to any upcoming artists is to draw what you love! when you do this, your audience will come. Though it may take some time.
3) What are your own personal goals for your art? Where would you like it to be in five years?
My personal art goal is to inspire others and make something that can be experienced for generations to come. In 5 years I would like to be working with a studio or freelancing full time while travelling the world, experiencing new things.
4) Who are some of your favorite artists currently?
Some of my favorite artists currently are Gustav Klimt, Albrecht Durer, Canis Albus, and Loish.
5) What thought process did you take into your FIYAH cover?
For my FIYAH cover, I did a lot of research on Ayida Wedo, her cultural depictions, color schemes, and what composition would best fit her design. I did some research and drawing practice of snakes as well, so I could best depict their movement.
6) If you could instantly work on any established property, what would it be and why?
I would love to work for Pixar and DreamWorks regarding studios, and Penguin Random house, Harper Collins regarding book publishing!
7) What projects do you have coming down the pipeline? Anything you particularly excited about?
Yes! I am planning to do some fan illustrations for my favorite Disney movies and get a start on my Native Dog series.
8) Tell us where we can find you. Social media, website etc.?
You can find me on Twitter & Instagram! my username is @euqinimodart, and my website is www.dominiqueramsey.com